- Software Development
- Building Teams
- User Research
- Asking “Why?”
Jeff works to make the world better by empowering government to put users first.
He helps agencies deliver human-centered software by talking with users, simplifying systems and processes, writing code to make things work, and frequently re-reading the Digital Services Playbook. Jeff’s first priority in a project is to identify outcomes and figure out how to achieve them through iterative, repeatable steps. He encourages his teams to continually learn, listen, and pivot based on new information as they go.
Jeff was an early member of the U.S. Digital Service, founding engineering manager of the Vets.gov team, and has worked with state digital service teams in California, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. He loves exploring new areas and restaurants with his best friend and urban hiking buddy — his wife.
Things Jeff has been doing
- Helping California HHS teams iteratively ship software used to deliver social services
- Redesigning hiring processes to create high performing teams
- Thinking and writing about building digital service teams within government
- Working to improve government design forms at Code for Boston
- Promoting healthy DevOps culture to support digital services for the public
- Bringing culture change to the daily work of government
Don’t let the urgent crowd out the important. (Anonymous)Jeff