CivicActions and each member of our team have a policy to license all work product (including code, text, and other creative expressions) under public license.
Our practical intention with this policy is to remove legal barriers that would keep organizations and individuals from rapidly deploying works that are critical to achieving their mission.
As our default position, we obtain all materials under a public license from our contractors and clients, and we provide works to others under the same licenses.
- All software is released under the Affero General Public License (AGPL) or, if required by the original copyright holder, under the GNU General Public License.
- All content produced, including project management methods and email messages, is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License.
This policy is also critical to the culture of CivicActions:
- To keep us focused on the work of helping clients accomplish their objectives.
- To attract clients that hold similar values and wish to empower people in their own communities.
- To attract creative, technical, and strategic talent by offering a vehicle for them to maintain access to their creations.
- To position ourselves so that we are paid for being present, not for work that was done in the past.
Our free and open licensing policies have continually served to help our company grow and thrive, while helping others do the same.