CivicActions Licensing Policy
Freedom and Openness are core values that we hold in common in our network. CivicActions and each member of our team have a policy to license all work product (including code, text, and other creative expressions) under public license. Our practical intention with this policy is to remove critical legal barriers that would otherwise keep organizations and individuals from rapidly deploying works that are critical to achieving their mission. As our default position, we obtain all materials under a public license from our contractors and clients, and we provide works to others under the same licenses.
- All software is released under the Affero General Public License (AGPL) or, if required by the original copyright holder, under the GNU General Public License.
- All content produced, including project management methods and email messages, is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License.
This policy is also critical to the culture of CivicActions:
- To maintain focus on our work - which is to provide great service to our clients and help them accomplish their objectives
- To attract clients that have similar values to our team, and wish to focus on empowering people in their own communities
- To attract creative, technical, and strategic talent by offering them a vehicle to maintain access to their most prized creations
- To align ourselves with others by getting paid for being present, instead of getting paid for work which was done in the past